Tuesday 13 September 2011

A place to start

I have come to this point through life experience and observation.  After about 19 year of marriage I was suddenly single. As a result of the marriage breakdown I needed to find a place to live, a job; as the assets were tied up in joint accounts. No cash flow... That is me low cash flow. During these years I have gone from one bad job to the next; always being underemployed. During this time my income has not improve in relation to my skills or education. I met many women in the same place as me so, I decided I could impact women by becoming a financial planner only to discover this situation was a common thread even with the women that appear to have money. For these women cash flow was not the issue, but rather the over spending. This over spending is a common phenomenon across the nation. The average Canadian owes $1.16 for ever dollar they earn.

Through reading and self education I have learned that most spending is based in emotion and until we see what triggers our spending we will continue to over spend. (Advertisers have this one figured out.) I want to help women see how they are responsible for their own financial future,take control and make changes that will keep them out of the dumpster in retirement.

 Money can be a both a blessing a curse for many of us. We need to understand what it can do for us and take advantage of that. There is lots of evidence that depression, anxiety, stomach problems, and riskier behaviour are related to higher levels of materialism. We continue to consume because we have come to believe that a dream of love, comfort, and safety for ourselves and our children can be attained item by item.
When money begins to look like money, (not love, not security and not a dream) we can live with out feeling deprived.

No comments: